Tuesday, October 18, 2011

The Mexican Invasion from Gooseberry Patch's Take Out Recipe Book

Sorry I am late in getting this one posted folks. But recently my husband and I had a "Mexican Take Out Night" at home.  No, we did not call out for it, we made it at home from the above pictured cookbook. 

The recipes for our "Mexican Take Out Night" Menu were; Wild West Quesadillas from page 71, and Queso Blanco from page 59. 

Below you will find pics from how the recipes came out in my kitchen:
This was before the cap was put on, and I used Cheddar instead of Jack, since it is what I had 
available. Instead of beef as the recipe calls for I used local buffalo, from my local co-op. Not near the 
fat, but great flavor.

The Quesadilla with her hat. It actually came out great after it shrunk. 

Had to take the hand blender to it, to smooth 
out it out in the picture below.

My husband said the sauce looked better
after it got blitzed.

Under all the Queso are two Quesadillas. The flour tortillas went with the sauce. The flour tortillas were store bought like the corn ones used in the Quesadillas.

My husband said both recipes were a keeper. So I noted them in the book. 

If you are interested in trying them and you don't have the book yet, here they are to try:(next step is to go pick up a copy of the book, or order it, it will change your outlook on calling out for take out.)

Wild West Quesadillas, page 71:

1 lb ground beef
1/2c. onion chopped
1 & 1/4 oz pkg taco seasoning
3/4c. water
12-6 inch corn tortillas
1c. shredded Monterey Jack cheese
Garnish: lettuce, diced tomato, salsa, sour cream

Brown ground beef and onion in a large skillet over medium-high heat; drain. Add taco seasoning and water; cook according to package directions. Spoon about 1/4 cup ground beef mixture on top of tortilla; sprinkle with cheese and top with onion. Place another tortilla on top. Cook in a lightly greased skillet over medium heat until heated through and cheese is melted, about 2 to 3 minutes per side.Repeat with remaining ingredients. Garnish as desired. 

* Instead of ground beef I used 1 lb of local buffalo from my local co-op, and I added the onion, taco seasoning and water in all at once after the meat was browned, to save time. I think I would use flour tortillas instead of corn, but that is just my taste preference. Corn worked well, and will for most, but it is up to personal preference.

Queso Blanco, page 59:

1c. shredded Monterey Jack cheese
4 oz can diced green chilies
1/4c. half and half
2T. onion, finely chopped
2t. ground cumin
1/2t. salt
1/8t. pepper
1T. fresh cilantro, finely chopped
Optional: 1 serrano pepper, finely chopped
tortilla chips or flour tortillas

Combine all ingredients except tortillas in a double boiler.Cook over medium heat until cheese is melted and well blended, stirring occasionally. Serve with tortilla chips or warm flour tortillas.

*My husband actually liked this because it was not super spicy and actually had a great mildness. This was another was recipe that he said to keep. 

So, why ever call for take out again, when you can make your own, and know what goes into it, and control the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment